Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
GrazingFashion
Style_council
GrazingFashion

What do you, chictopians, think is the appropriate age for a young teenager to start her/his modelling career?

I’m sure you all have heard of the French Vogue editorial where Thylane Blondeau, a 10 years old model prodigy at that time, graced the glossy pages of the prestigious high fashion publication with heels, glamorous dresses and highly sexualized gaze. Blondeau’s mother defended her by saying: she is fully clothed – how is that highly sexualize?. True, indeed. Comes to think of it, how come it wasn’t as controversial when Kirchner used a 12 years old model, Francine, for his nude paintings?

I would love to know your opinion about this. Different perspectives on a topic that concerns the fashion crowd is very interesting for me. So far, I have gotten a lot of academic critics towards it – I just want to know how different of an opinion a fashion savvy individual could have regarding this issue.

[Click here for the editorial spread.]

posted about 7 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Great post! I don’t think the images are highly sexualized either. She’s not posing provocatively and she’s fully clothed, like you said. Sure she’s pretending to be older, but the point of the spread is to juxtapose her young age with the seriousness of adulthood. The lipstick may be a little dark, but they did that in on purpose and aren’t saying little girls should go around with tons of make up on. I think if this was in a child’s magazine or on the Disney channel, we’d have more to worry about.

posted about 7 years ago

GrazingFashion
Style_council
GrazingFashion

Hey Catie!

True. However, some may argue that her gaze is highly sexualize and the way she/photographer positioned her body on the editorial spread does impose some kind of sexual attraction to the subject/model.

Some people could also argue that is it necessary to expose young people at this early age to the adulthood to create a work of Art? Where do we draw the line of “pushing the boundary” and what does it say about the culture we have today towards sex?

posted about 7 years ago

lisakiyomoto
Style_council
lisakiyomoto

I find it interesting how in the comments section of the linked article, all the up-voted comments are like, “shame on her parents” and comments saying that she has the potential for a “great future” in modelling are down voted. I think because now everyone is obssessed with the idea that the media uses sex to sell, that people look for it and then so think they have ‘uncovered’ hidden meanings in the media. So with respect to the French Vogue editorial: it is a fashion magazine. We have this weird inconsisent line in our minds when we think of age; on one side you are “too young” but just over the line you “the youngest… (positive) since…”. I think a 10 old model in Vogue seems a bit out of place, but her parents agreed to her taking that job, and I hope she chose it or accepted it herself. The reactions to the editorial seem a bit extreme. I don’t think half the people making judgements on it would have known about the editorial (it being in the middle of Vogue, I assume, unless it was also the cover?) had it not been scooped up by other media people and sites. Wow I just totally ignored your original question and ranted about that editorial haha. To start a modelling career, I think from whenever! Those babies in K-mart junk mail are models too.

posted about 7 years ago

mollyan
Style_council
mollyan

What ever age is right for them

posted about 7 years ago

Yumi_Kaeko
Style_council
Yumi_Kaeko

In my opinion, I think around 12-14yo is an okay age to start modeling. Not only because they’re a bit more mature, but that’s usually the age that agents will start scouting for new high fashion models. If it’s just regular commercial modeling, then whenever the child agrees to it or shows interest.
I think that Thylane Blondeau’s photos do seem highly sexualized, and honestly they make me uncomfortable because I belive it sends the wrong message about beauty, but that’s just my personal opinion.

posted about 7 years ago

FakeBlikeu
Style_council
FakeBlikeu

I think the age should be around 14, when you start to get mature.

posted almost 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password