Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
d0rki3
Style_council
d0rki3

i love listening to different language songs. One thing i’ve noticed through 2 songs is that i’m learning different words through songs played on the radio. For ex. Rihanna’s song Te Amo , she says it means i love youuu after she says the phrase or whatever. And the same thing with Karl Wolf. Anyways any languages you guys have learned that wasn’t taught in class ? This can be like a language discussion :P

posted over 9 years ago
chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

I was into anime and japanese music for the longest time, and I sort of learned some botched japanese through that….

also, in my spanish class, senora gave us extra credit for figuring stuff like that out in spanish songs that she played for us in class :D

posted over 9 years ago

destineddiva93
Style_council
destineddiva93

idk i love listening to songs in another language and i learn the words but i have no idea what im saying. im just repeating what i heard. i dont think thats “learning a language”.

posted over 9 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

As a language teacher, I say yes, yes, YES! Music is a very good medium for learning a language. I’ve used music often in my classes. I use a lot of traditional childrens’ songs, but I also think it’s really fun to find chorus of a pop song that has a grammar pattern I have just taught and then use it as a listening exercise.

However, I don’t think you can learn a entire new language just from listening to foreign music alone. Like destineddiva93 said, then you’re just repeating sounds you don’t know the meaning to. You have to have small a base in the language first, a basic understanding of the grammar and some of the vocabulary. You don’t need to necessarily be studying it in school, but you should have some way to check the meaning of vocabulary and make sense of grammar, whether it’s using reference books like dictionaries or talking about it with a friend who already speaks the language.

Once you have started your studying, though, music is a really good way to reinforce and practice what you’ve learned. (Though if you’re listening to a song that mentions both a phrase AND its translation, like Te Amo, I guess it doesn’t matter as much if you’re officially studying it? :-P).

posted over 9 years ago

IndigoWhisper
Style_council
IndigoWhisper

I learned a lot of words in English through music. I actually learned English watching cartoons and movies. That0’s how most children here learn actually. Movies and cartoons are the best way to go, however you must be exposed to the language you are learning constantly, of course everything is in English so it was a lot easier for me to learn it that way. Also subtitles! Subtitles help!

posted over 9 years ago

flowerpower
Style_council
flowerpower

i love music and ive been listening to a bit of arabic music and ive noticed that ive learnt a few words from this.

posted over 9 years ago

sparrowandurchin
Style_council
sparrowandur...

When I lived in Brasil, songs helped me so greatly! They allowed me to learn how people more casually talk instead of the strict grammar rules in books.

posted over 9 years ago

sweetoblivion
Style_council
sweetoblivion

well, it helps me learn phrases (like in certain sublime songs i can sing along with his spanish lines) but i still don’t know what the words mean.

posted over 9 years ago

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

As a language teacher, I’d certainly recommend that. There are various ways in using it, depending on the level of the pupil. Sure, it will have varied affects, to someone who is an absolute beginner to someone of a higher level.

It definitely helps, if I must say so myself!
posted almost 9 years ago

andreamq
Style_council
andreamq

Music and movies are helpful to learn languages!

posted almost 9 years ago

Petrakieva
Style_council
Petrakieva

Learning languages through songs is a neat idea and a very easy and fun way to do learning!

posted over 8 years ago

Senta
Style_council
Senta

I was learning a little Dutch because I’m listening to many musical-recordings from the Netherlands. And because I know the German or English lyrics by heart I understand the Dutch ones (and because the language is quite similar to German) and now I guess I can sing the whole musical Elisabeth by heart because I was listening to the record so many times :D

And I agree to you all, movies are a great way to learn English too. I wouldn’t understand the guys there in the UK without watching movies or listening to music in English, because almost all our teachers are speaking with a very interesting accent :D

posted over 8 years ago

fernieyu
Style_council
fernieyu

Hell yeah! Listening to english songs made me go after the language and learn it..and now it feels so nice to listen to that old songs that i couldn’t understand a word..lol [okay..maybe two or three] and now i understand..haha
Also, as @CHICCHICA_BONITA, one day I was interested in japanese culture and listening to japanese music helped me a lot, even when it was kids songs haha [don’t laugh, needed to listen to it at japanese classes :P]

posted over 8 years ago

Kaileena
Style_council
Kaileena

is very true, listening to music in other languages ??helps a lot to learn new words. 6 years ago I heard German groups, and I know many words because of that!. I also listen to some groups in French (the language is so beautiful, but it is so difficult to pronounce it: s). Also some Italian is the easiest, ’cause is very similar to Spanish (my native language)

posted over 8 years ago

laurenkay
Style_council
laurenkay

I’m a vocal music education major. so i’ve learned the majority of the words I know from classical arias and folk songs. I really love German. It’s very dark to sing,

posted over 8 years ago

newday_newoutfit
Style_council
newday_newou...

It helps so much because I was listening to a lot of French music before I went to Paris and it improved my speaking skills so much!

posted over 8 years ago

headbandit
Style_council
headbandit

I learn a lot from asian dramas…haha. I’ve studied Japanese, but have still learned some new words as well as some Korean and Chinese words. :)

posted over 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password