Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
HotPants
Style_council
HotPants

Where do you stand and how do you feel like your culture’s style has influenced you? Also, how do you feel social networking and media has influenced your culture’s style?

Personally, I feel like style is something you feel good in even though it’s not some trending tumblr post or copied by lookbookers. We can all wear the same trend over and over again, but that’s just it. A trend. I feel like the two words I posted above are polar opposites.
Fashion has really become something to fit in with other people.

posted over 7 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I think trend is a broad word. It just means something is popular at the moment, but it can cover any kind of style and doesn’t necessarily mean that a something is popular is “bad style”. For instance, red lipstick is really “trendy” right now, but it’s also a classic style of make-up. Sure, most trends will be old news by the end of the summer, but there may be a few that stick around and become classic styles.

When maxi skirts became popular a few summers ago, a lot of my guy friends bemoaned them and one even said he couldn’t wait till that trend was over, but they’re still one of the most popular styles of skirts! It’s possible that they’re just a long-winded trend. Either way, I wear them because I like them and feel good in them, not because I wanna be popular. Although, as a blogger, I thinks that’s an OK reason to wear something, too ;)

posted over 7 years ago

KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

That goes hand-in-hand with the difference between fashion and style. Fashion=/=style. When you’re fashionable, you follow trends, you wear whats in season and you do it well. When you have style, you have the ability to dress well without the use of trends, or using them in a sense that doesn’t scream it’s a trend.

So, trends accompany fashion but they don’t equate being stylish or having some sort of style.

posted over 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password