SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
MeowQuack
Style_council
MeowQuack

Hey guys!
I am learning Japanese on my own, and would really like to go there one day (as well as other places). I’m not good enough that I can carry on a conversation of over ten minutes, but one day I will be!
I was just wondering if any of you live in Japan or are learning Japanese too.
If so, how’s that going for you?

posted over 9 years ago
solybBy
Style_council
solybBy

I want to learn japanese

posted over 9 years ago

ukiuki88
Style_council
ukiuki88

i’m learning japanese too! right now, i’m majoring in japanese and have already taken all the courses available from my university (it’s a small one so the program is still new T_T) so right now i have to self-study in order to keep learning.

i’ve been to japan for only 3 months on a student abroad program. it’s fun so you should definitely try it! i think it’s the best way to get immersed in the culture and language!

posted over 9 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

my bf knows japanese very well so i know some conversational phrases from him. i would definitely love to learn better someday and go travel all around japan!

posted over 9 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I currently live in Japan! I studied Japanese in high school and college (and studied abroad in college) and now I’m working as an English teacher in a small city in Japan. I’m trying to learn enough kanji to pass the JLPT Level 2 while I’m here. I’m terrible at kanji, I feel like I forget them as soon as I learn them. But I think I’m pretty good at speaking. On the phone I’ve been mistaken for a native speaker before.

I hope you get a chance to visit! Like ukiuki88, I definitely recommend some sort of long-term study abroad visit if you can, especially if you can stay with a host family. There’s no better way to learn than immersing yourself in the language and culture 24/7.

posted over 9 years ago

MeowQuack
Style_council
MeowQuack

Yes, I definitely want to study abroad in Japan when I go to college, at least for a semester and take Japanese classes so I could learn more of the culture & language. Staying with a host family sounds like it would be more engaging and fun.

ukiuki88 – how do you teach yourself? I use an online program with my library and I have a japanese teacher, but she’s on vacation :).

I don’t really know kanji yet, so I guess I have a long way to go haha!

posted over 9 years ago

ukiuki88
Style_council
ukiuki88

well i use textbooks mostly to learn grammar. then sometimes i like to borrow childrens books from the library to practice reading. for listening i try to watch japanese variety shows on the internet if i can, since they frequently have subtitles (in japanese). i tend to write anything i see that i find interesting or a new word that might pop up down in a notebook so i can keep track.

i find that it’s better to have a mix of learning styles especially when you don’t have japanese native speakers around you to practice with. i think that’s the hardest part for me, where i live there’s not much people to practice speaking japanese with outside of a classroom.

don’t worry, kanji is the hardest for me too! but the more you watch tv or read simple books the more you’ll be exposed to kanji and that will help you recognize and remember them! :)

posted over 9 years ago

MeowQuack
Style_council
MeowQuack

Yes, the problem with the online class is that I’m basically memorizing phrases and not necessarily figuring out how to make the phrases. I think I’ll look for some grammar textbooks too.
I agree, it would help if I knew native speakers.

I hope so!

posted over 9 years ago

say_this_one
Style_council
say_this_one

Japanese is really hard… Even the way they write. My students told me that it is very complicated.

posted over 9 years ago

ukiuki88
Style_council
ukiuki88

also there’s a lot of people in youtube that vlog about their experience learning japanese or living in japan, and some of them can be inspiring!

posted over 9 years ago

MeowQuack
Style_council
MeowQuack

Especially the way they write, haha! All those characters…

Thank you for your advice! Meet ups will probably be easier to find when I go to college because not many people study japanese in high school. My french class also has a no-english policy which is helps a lot of students.

Right, youtube! I hadn’t thought of that. I bet there are even vlogs done in Japanese.
Japanese people tend to speak fast (to me at least), so it will take some getting used to.

Thanks a lot everyone, great advice!

posted over 9 years ago

franloiacono
Style_council
franloiacono

Nice topic :D I’m impressed by those who are learning japanese, you rock guys! :D
I tried by myself longtime ago, but it was totally unsuccesful lol
I’ve been to Japan twice and I’d love to come back there asap :D

posted over 9 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

I took japanese for 3 years in high school. It was very difficult for me though so I don’t think I’ll pursue it^^;

posted over 9 years ago

MeowQuack
Style_council
MeowQuack

Sad thing is that I’ve been taking Japanese for over 5 years maybe, but I started out really young. So as children, my siblings and I just fooled around during classes and never did homework, etc. So I basically learned nothing those 5 years. It’s just now that I’ve started becoming serious about it… Though I still wish I were more committed.
Ahh, it’s a shame. I could have been so good by now.

posted over 9 years ago

bigships
Style_council
bigships

I’ve been studying Japanese for the past 5 years, and I lived in Japan for a year at a language intensive college. It’s hard. I studied Japanese for 4 years before moving to Japan, and when I arrived, I was practically illiterate. I feel like it gets harder the more you study, as well.

Japan is GORGEOUS, though. If you ever get a chance to go, you should. :)

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password