Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
solybBy
Style_council
solybBy

I don’t know about you guys, but lately Ive noticed that the media in general, lately has really negative influences on the young people today. I feel like some young people are out of control, Im scared to even think of how it will be in a couple of years when im older :| what do you guys think

posted over 9 years ago
irisanddaniel
Style_icon
irisanddaniel

I really think that the media can influence youth if they are raised in a way to not be able to think for themselves or if their parents are not censoring out inappropriate media for their age.

My opinion on the ideas about negative media influences on youth is that it’s not just the media, it’s the parents or parental figures. I know my friends and family who pay attention and enjoy media and see negative media ideas and yet are completely grounded and have understanding about their own morals.

posted over 9 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I agree with irisanddaniel. There are some messed-up messages in the media, but there are messed-up messages everywhere and a strong person who was raised to stand by their principles no matter what will not be affected by any of them.

Besides, society is the reason the media is the way it is. Networks broadcast what people want to see; magazines publish what readers want to read. They don’t just put unrealistic out scenarios just to mess with us; they’re working with ratings and what people have indicated they like.

I don’t think the solution is changing television, movies, and magazines, but parents and schools getting serious about teaching critical thinking skills. What’s real? What’s not? What’s logical? What’s propaganda? I think a lot of people have a hard time discerning what is a realistic portrayal of actions and consequences and start to think that what they see in the media is evidence that they can behave a certain way (be cruel to others, take dangerous risks, break the law, etc) and experience a certain outcome that in reality would never actually happen.

For instance, really getting pregnant as a teenager is probably not going to turn out like Knocked Up, Juno, or Secret Life of the American Teenager. And a hot guy who says he is a vampire and is super possessive, obsessive, and sneaks into your room and watches you sleep is not going to be the Edward Cullen to your Bella Swan; he’s probably going to kill you, or at least screw you up emotionally for life.

It’s no problem seeing/reading these things if you know they’re just fiction, but if you take them seriously you have a problem.

posted over 9 years ago

aribrielle
Style_council
aribrielle

i definitely think the media affects us, especially my generation. there are so many messages and stuff being sent to us through the media sometimes we dont even realize it. it may not be all bad, but a majority of it is.

if you think about it, yeah every generation of teenagers have their issues, but not like ours. noww it’s so accepted and even normal to do drugs and get drunk at like 14, and get pregnant as a sophomore. it’s crazy

posted over 9 years ago

solybBy
Style_council
solybBy

@gorgeouslyygreen93 couldnt agree more.
I think music artist like Lil wayne send a bad message to young guys these days. &

IT DOESNT MATTER HOW MUCH PARENTS LECTURE THEIR KIDS.

In the end they are going to do what they want, & the fact of the matter is MEDIA HAS MORE CONTOL OVER THE MAJORITY OF THE YOUNG AUDIENCES.

c’mon now …… wake up smell the coffee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

posted over 9 years ago

Wheatknee
Style_council
Wheatknee

Both of the above views are correct, but I think it is more of a selective influence.
Parents may never be able to “control” everything about their children, however, they can introduce positive stimulus and be open in discussing what may be see as negative or more damaging to social development.
It’s not that people don’t have the ability to think critically for themselves, it’s just that media today is so overwhelming that it become easy to lose yourself and settle on the path of least resistance––not thinking.

posted over 9 years ago

artyaffair
Style_council
artyaffair

i think no matter what the media tries to influence youths, it really depends on their personal values. if they were bought up to stick to theirs, no matter what, i believe they will stick. otherwise, media influence or otherwise, wouldn’t make much of a difference. i agree with wheatknee especially bout the last part. :)

posted over 9 years ago

lovebughannah
Style_council
lovebughannah

because of the media everyone is very… out there.

posted over 9 years ago

melpi
Style_council
melpi

i agree. i think the media nowadays is making young kids more immature and obnoxious. i hear a 7 year old screaming “penis and vagina” and it shocks me. on valentines day these two middle schoolers who looked like they were in 4th grade actually, started to hit on me and then tore apart a flower in my face like he was saying “JUST KIDDING”. then he proceeded to ask me what music i liked. “ludacris? 50 cent? pit bull?” i was like WOW. i listen to none of that, now get the hell out of my FACE.
sorry, rant. hehe.

posted over 9 years ago

TobiasLuciaStarr
Style_council
TobiasLuciaS...

I taught high school English for several years and a year of middle school and yeah, you’re right. These kids are being influenced in ways I can’t explain. It’s all about materialism and the shock-factor…not to mention the glorification of sex and drugs.

posted over 9 years ago

hrehughesx
Style_council
hrehughesx

I’ve actually been walking down the street, and actually recieved a rape threat, buy a boy who looked about 7. It’s ridiculous that a 7 year old should even know what rape is! I blame the media, and the parents for actually allow them to watch this stuff. I’m worried if this is what all little boys are like :|

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password