SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
tightsenthusiast
Style_council
tightsenthus...

Anyone know of any stores like Wholefoods but doesn’t consume your whole paycheck? I love all the products carried at Wholefoods, but shopping their cost me a new pair of shoes (not from payless) every time. I want to eat healthy but not spend a fortune, any other stores can offer that? Better yet, has anyone ordered organic produce online?

posted over 8 years ago
snow
Style_council
snow

I find Whole Foods is only expensive for certain items. I like Trader Joe’s for packaged items, not produce…and I really don’t eat processed food any more. Why not look for co-ops or farmer’s markets in your area?

posted over 8 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Trader Joe’s is good for packaged and frozen items. Seriously, if you’re looking for cheap frozen things that aren’t filled with sodium, go there.

Supposedly Wegman’s carries a wide variety of organic and natural products, though I’m not sure where they’re located across the country.

Also, Farmer’s Markets are great for produce.

…and I have to say, depending on what you’re getting at Whole Foods, most of the prices are lower for the same item compared to other supermarkets. Buying grains/etc. isn’t too expensive, and $1.50 for a package of tofu vs. $3.50 at nearby stores is pretty good.

posted over 8 years ago

heck
Style_council
heck

Trader Joe’s definitely, but if you buy the 365 brand at Whole Foods that’s usually a pretty good deal! They have an awesome organic whole wheat bread for 2.50.
Sometimes it’s cheapest to grocery shop at more than one store.

posted over 8 years ago

destineddiva93
Style_council
destineddiva93

sadly i dont have wholefoods or trader joes near me =(

posted over 8 years ago

eau_de_violet
Style_council
eau_de_violet

Hi, southern California we have a grocery store chain called Henry’s Farmers Markets, awesome prices and very healthy selection, and great fruit and veggies. Watch out for fresh and easy b/c their foods have preservatives as well as nitrates.

posted over 8 years ago

JaquelynAurora
Style_council
JaquelynAurora

Henry’s is definitely something I’d put out there. But also, where ever you live…there is probably a farmer’s market somewhere around. I love shopping there because not only do you get organic produce, but you help out small business families from diverse areas

posted over 8 years ago

etceteraism
Style_council
etceteraism

Check and see if any organic distributors have sales-there is a big organic produce distribution company near my house, and every Saturday they open up their warehouse to the public and sell it off for reasonable prices. A couple of the local organic/natural grocery delivery places do this too. They don’t really advertise, it’s usually by word of mouth, but if you dig around online you can probably find something.
I’ll go to Whole Foods and buy their 365 brand and sometimes items that are on sale, but I find their produce and other items ridiculously overpriced.

posted over 8 years ago

heartandsole95
Style_council
heartandsole95

Whole Foods actually isn’t super expensive if you don’t go with a super specific list. They put lots of products on sale and have lots of variety so you can choose whats within your budget. The best place to hit up for produce is your local farmers market, because you’ll find local & organic produce and it’s quite a bit cheaper than Whole Foods (the one area that is noticeably more expensive at Whole foods).

posted over 8 years ago

kmbessem12
Style_council
kmbessem12

Mothers

posted about 8 years ago

akbay
Style_council
akbay

It would depend where you are located. But have you tried looking for farmer’s markets in your area? You can also a try a farm share, you pay a fee and the farmer brings a crate of food every week to you or what ever is in season. If a crate is too much you might split it with a friend like several of my co-workers do. Also, as others have mentioned, Whole Foods is reasonable on some things like bulk lintels. Your town might also have a food co-op which would have organic foods at a reasonable price.

posted about 8 years ago

blueviolet725
Style_council
blueviolet725

lots of juices, yogurts and fruits are at the discount grocery stores by me. I only go to whole foods for the things I can’t get anywhere else. If it is natural, and not all organic, going to ethnic food stores for raw materials can be great savings. Farm stands etc too.

posted about 8 years ago

Harumi818
Style_council
Harumi818

trader joes!

posted about 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password